was Mary Polden 25 Nov 1879 Kindred got its name because so many of the early settlers became related to one another through marriage. This cemetery was opened on James Brown's land next to the small Chapel.
The reader is now in the very heart of the district, but before going further, let one cross the Clayton and at the back of Mr. W. Russell's is situated the well-known and company property of Mr. T. D. Lewis. A casual glance at the soil will tell its first class quality and experienced farming has succeeded in greatly enhancing its value. In the early days this land was selected by the late Roddam Douglas, for Mr. Alex Clerke, who also owned the adjoining farms now occupied by Messrs. T. B. Yaxley and Howard, on a bank of rich deep coloured chocolate soil.
These acres are now proving profitable to their owners, who since their advent have made many noticeable improvements. They join the Spalford farms, but there are no roads connecting the two districts, except one which is impassable in winter. "Spring Banks" the residence of Mr A. W. Mott, was originally selected by Mr. Alex Oliver, the father of the well-known Chudleigh family of the same name. A pretty residence is built on the property, which of late years has been greatly improved in value. When the Messrs. Mott got the farm, it was nearly all heavy scrub and dense bush, which covered rich agricultural soil. Mr. A. Vertigan's farm was selected by Mr. Wyett, of Dunorlan and it is one of value.
A little further up the road is the hospitable homestead of Mr. D. Healey, "Clover Hill," a farm which has made a name for itself. Three hundred and sixty two bushels of wheat off nine acres have been grown here and good crops of potatoes. This place viewed from the road has the appearance of an English meadow, being quite clear and under grass. Mr. C. Wellard, now residing at the Forth, in company with two brothers, in 1861 took up 318 acres here, which also included the farms now occupied by Messrs. W. Polden and D. Loane, building the house which has lately been replaced by a large new structure, also building again on what is now Loane's property. Mr. C. Wellard lived on his property for some time, which was noted for its numerous Blackwood trees.
The farms resided on by Messrs. W. Polden and D. Loane join this land and originally formed part of Wellard's selection. Mr. Loane has lately much added to his house and notwithstanding the bad road, has made a great difference in the place since his arrival. On the opposite side of this road is Mr. Ellis' property. "Cottage Hills," occupied at present by Mr. E. A. Russell. Mr. Russell himself is the owner of a large tract of land in the Wilmot district. Dairying is extensively carried on and the writer noticed some pure brad pedigree Berkshire pigs. The soil is rich, though the country is steep in places and good crops have been grown.
The present occupier has done most of the clearing, which, considering the land was so densely scrubbed, was a gigantic task. Two splendid waterfalls are on the large creek that passed through this farm, one cascade being fully 60 feet high, the other not so lofty but very wide, making a picture worthy of any artist's attention. Their natural beauty is of no mean order and being so easy of access, either from the Kindred or Wilmot roads, visitors via Forth should see them. The adjoining property was first taken up by a Mr. Thomas Tongs, who was also one of the earliest settlers on Dr. Casey's land at Forthside. This is now occupied by Mr. John Vertigan, whose house can be seen from Mr. R. Russell's residence.
Mr. James Gardiner's will be the next place visited a neat little farm, on which a lot of hard work has been done, but good results obtained. The splendid paddock of Algerian oats, on the left-hand side, is his and is undoubtedly the most promising crop in the Kindred district. His neighbour is Mr. F. Geale, son-in-law of the late John Russell, who selected and opened up the farm 27 years ago, turning this dense wilderness into smiling fields and pastures. Much heavy work has been done on this property, but the reward has been great and the crops of potatoes and grain raised annually have exceeded the average. The Wilmot River joins the Forth not far from her, but a steep long hill must be descended when this is reached. The scenery is simply grand, miles and miles of thick forest, with dead timber, that denotes the Wilmot settlement just showing over the tree tops and with rugged and thickly timbered hills skirting the river Forth, forming an effective background.
Turning to the left, nearly all the land one passes through till the main road reached, was first taken up by a Mr. J. Hipper and comprises farms now occupied by H. Cox, jun., H. Arnold and Mrs. P. Gardiner. The land is nearly all of the best red volcanic soil and is noted for its potato growing qualities. Mrs. P. Gardiner's residence, "Sunny Brae," is right on the main Kindred road and the farm has the advantage of a good road running parallel with it. It is a profitable property. Mr. A. Grainger's farm was selected by Mr. R. Wickers, the pioneer of the Kindred and Blythe districts, but Mr. Grainger has done nearly all the clearing and has made the farm. At the top end of the Kindred, the blackberries have obtained a great hold and are a pest, that farmers cannot sufficiently denounce.
There is a fortune to the man who can provide a remedy that will effectually destroy what may properly be called the curse of the North West Coast. The altitude of this part of Kindred is the same as Sprent and a great difference in the climate will be noticed. Mr. A. Chatwin lives near here on a farm taken up first by Mr. F. Chatwin, well remembered in the olden days at the Don. His brother Robert occupies a property some distance further on, on the road to Sprent. Both go in for mixed farming, which pursuits they follow with success.
A family associated with the Arnolds, Riggs and Poldens, the earliest settlers, have land about here, ie the Fosters', Mr. C. Foster, a descendant now living on his property, which is an excellent farm well worked. Mr. Joseph Smith, the well-known vet is, one believes, residing on part of the late J Foster's estate.
The farms beyond this and on the Moreton road are in reality in the Sprent district, which township is only a few miles distance, but the farm on the hill, "Banockburn" (the name denoting the owner's parentage), is quite worth notice, if only for the many and modern conveniences that the proprietor has surrounded himself with. Water is laid on and a good metal road leads to the door. Numerous outbuildings abound on the farm and constitute a small village of its own. Mr. W. Robertson, the genial owner, was one of the earliest on the Castra-road and is full of interesting reminiscences that are worth printing. In concluding the articles about the Kindred, the writer would state that information, especially of a far- away date, was very hard to obtain. Very few of the earliest settlers are living and only one or two remain on the Kindred.
Taking the date that the old Wesleyan chapel was opened as a guide, in 1862 or 1863, vide Mr. Geo Bonner (who helped to erect it), Mr. J. Filluel, who was living where Mr. G. Gibson now resides (bottom end of Kindred), and who was also present as a visitor, many of the others now living were children hardly in their teens, sad of course, unable to accurately remember the events at all lucidly. The writer will be glad to hear of any corrections, but they must come only from those who were bona-fide pioneers of their especial district.
The electric light was installed at Kindred October 1939 The first settlers came to the Kindred district about 1860 In 1865 land for a church was donated by John Arnold, the first building was constructed of palings and had a shingle roof In 1866 there were 28 children attending Sunday school On the 24th May 1890 a new Methodist church was opened, the old church building was then used for meetings. The Church was closed for worship on Sunday 23 March 1980 and was relocated to Sprent in 1984 There was also an Anglican Church built in Kindred